Friday, April 2, 2010

The Shepherd's Diary for March

Sunday, March 7, 2010
With Ken and Neil helping wrangle, I sheared 7 of my 10 sheep. Took all day and wore me out.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Still really sore . . .

Saturday, March 13, 2010
Sheared two large, flighty ewes with help of friends (Ken and Neil knew better). Still averaging 50 minutes per sheep Maybe next year I will start sooner and do a reasonable number each day. (Probably not)

Sunday, March 14, 2010
Ryan Craig sheared the very large, struggling ram in 10 minutes.I have a long way to go . . .

Saturday, March 20, 2010
Ken discovered three little lambs (Edina) in the barn while I was teaching class in Decatur. Two rams and one ewe. He got them settled in a pen before I got home.

Monday, March 22
Doris lambed overnight. One very pretty ewe-lamb.
Sindy lambed outside at noon while I was watching from the house. Two nice rams. She rejected them, so I'm bottle-feeding them. They are the best two-ram-lamb welcoming committee I could imagine!!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Bernice had twins in the barn at 10:30 am. Two rams. They have good bloodlines, and I'm hoping they  grow up to be breeding rams. Blackie had a ewe and a ram at the entrance to the barn just before 5 pm. With the other sheep coming in for dinner, it was a rodeo getting her and the lambs into a pen. She's a great first-time mom.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Two more to lamb, Ursula will be soon and Rose might be late April or even later if she lambs at all.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW Cathe!! Very interesting... who knew you were raising, sheering, bottle-feeding lambs!!! So much I didn't know, but its completely fascinating! Thanks for sharing your blog :)

    ReplyDelete