Friday, September 25, 2009

Mad chickens. "You must stay in until I get some eggs!!" Chicken slavery, they think, I'm sure. A friend is delivering a few guineas this weekend, so everyone will have to stay in until the guineas get used to their new home anyway.

It's cool, rainy, and the autumnal equinox has come and gone. We are rising to dark mornings, and the day is slow dawning, much slower than in the summer. Daylight savings doesn't end until November 1, which is much too late. I would rather see dawn creeping over the eastern horizon when I rise.

The garden is ratty, and my enthusiasm is waning. Green beans, pears, tomatoes, and zucchini are all demanding, "Pick me!" "Can me." Freeze me!" "Preserve me with honey and spices!"

The duties of the harvest season call me. Perhaps I will find inspiration in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment